Reduce pollution, one Friday at a time.
We want to inspire people who are not yet “green” to try at least one day a week to become greener. To change our habits, to think about how what we do daily impacts the world around us. We are not judgemental – we believe that “every little bit helps” and we believe you don’t have to be perfect to make a difference. Even if you only make an effort one day a week, it’s better than making no effort at all
Why Should You Care about Vendredi Vert?
* At peak pollution times in the Arve Valley including Chamonix Mont Blanc, 30% more children are admitted to Sallanches hospital with respiratory and other immune system problems.
* Every year air pollution kills 60-80 people in the Valley de l’Arve.
* More than 600,000 trucks come through our valley every year – their diesel emissions cause asthma; bronchitis; lung disease; cancers, and can damage lung growth in children for life.
* Each day pollution is over the limits (about 40 days per year) we breathe 20,000 litres of polluted air in the Chamonix valley. If you are a sports person, this is being sucked even more deeply into your lungs.
We all agree there’s a lot the government could be doing. However we also believe we can all help personally as well. See our pages of hints and tips, guides to local resources etc. to help you on your path to becoming a more involved “eco citizen”.
How to Start Helping Now
* Use ‘greener’ transport – carpool, walk, cycle, take the bus or the train.
* If you have to drive, cut your engine while you wait longer than 30 seconds.
* Avoid using an open wood fire. Change your fireplace to a high efficiency closed insert or wood burner. Use methods to light your fire that do not create extra smoke.